Sunday, February 24, 2008

Another take on my Grandmothers...



Scrapped two more "granny" pages today, both for challenges (elements and number) at DSO, but i put too many things on the number one, so will have to redo THAT one--well, not redo, just apply to a different challenge. Added some hearts and now it can go in the shape challenge. Both of these photos of my grandmother can be seen on other pages on my blog. This is the first time these pictures of my brother, sister and me have been posted here.

I have a tendency to either idolize or demonize each of my grandmothers. I idolize the one from whom i was yanked, the city girl. I demonize the one who spoke harsh words to me as i entered her home, the country girl. I suspect that each of them loved us very much in her own way, but the memory of the hurt is closer, fresher, deeper than the other. I know that I had the benefit of two grandmothers, each of whom took on the challenge of raising children who were not born to them. They are both to be praised for this; i know this. Still, for me, there is an empty place in my heart when i think of Grandma Hat; the emptiness of feeling as if there was no love for me, just duty (and isn't carrying out your duty, "love", and what's love got to do with it anyhow).


Don't forget to click the previews to see a larger image. I haven't printed the Journaling here, but you should be able to see it if you look at the larger image.


My Paternal Grandmother






My Maternal Grandmother






As you might imagine, the pictures of my siblings and me that are displayed with each of the grandmothers was taken at a time when at least one of us was living with that grandmother. I find it compellingly (ok at least to me) that in the picture of us with "mama", we are holding each other. It was just natural, nothing to it. In the other picture, we are not. At the time the latter picture was taken, i had JUST graduated from high school, my brother was living with my dad, and my sister was the only one still living with my Grandma Hat. We--don't ask me who "we" was: i know I thought it was the right thing to do at the time--thought it was time for my sister to join her siblings in the city again, so we were picking her up.

An note of interest: In the house we lived in with my "mama", there was an attic RIGHT off my sister's and my bedroom. Boy did we have fun in that attic. We found all kinds of things up there. I have never owned a home with an attic that i didn't also LIVE in, so i will not have the nice atmosphere of one to go through all the "stuff" i have to sort through. We moved 15 years ago, and in the first place we lived (as we do now), we had a basement where we stored all our "stuff" waiting to move to the next place. Mice happened. It was a very destructive invasion. We got that all cleaned up and moved again, and we see evidence of mice every once in a while--i surprised on on the stairs a year or so after we moved in--but they are not as destructive--yet--as that first bunch were.

Sheesh, I'm rambling!

A word of thanks to my online pal Mabelle who inspires a lot of us to scrap for real. Visit her blog at www.mydigistyle.com (or click the top blinkie on the left), and join in the discussion. You may be glad you did.

Director Credits:

Heart pendant with ribbon in Grandma's Love? from "Because you remember" addon kit; Rubon in Grandma's Love? from What Grandma Said rubon; "Empty space in my heart tag" from the "Sunporch" kit; ©2007 MyDigiSTYLE , MDSRubia & Maipixel (http://www.mydigistyle.com)

All else from the Attic Box #2 kit ©2008 MyDigiSTYLE , MDSRubia & Maipixel (http://www.mydigistyle.com)

The frame in Grandma Love? was made from ribbon from this kit with an epoxy action applied, thanks to Atomic Cupcake.

1 comment:

Mabelle said...

Hi gurl! Great layouts! I see more than just your grandmas though... I see you in your pages... I see the love and I love what I see... You have such a big heart Denise.. That's the reason why so many just want to be with you... I do!

Hugs girl and you continue to scrap your heart out! That's the ONLY tool you will ever need!

Mabelle